Monday, November 28, 2011

my water broke about 24 hours ago

I've been in the hospital since about 5am Sunday morning.  I'm not in labor yet but getting through the first 48 hours is a big hurdle, then the first week.  I'm hooked up to a monitor, iv, and some leg "braces" that squeeze my legs constantly to prevent blood clots.  We will be here until we deliver, which can be no later than  34 weeks... but chances are we won't get there anyway, just taking it one day at a time.  We were told every day he stays inside me is 3 days less in the NICU.  We were visited by a NICU doc to be told what we're possibly looking at.  That was a scary talk... hopefully everything will be fine.  We're 28 weeks 6  days as of right now.  If he's born soon, we're likely looking at 2 1/2 months of NICU.   If he makes it to 34 we'll still have a month there... so either way, we're having a preemie and there will be a long road ahead.  We're doing pretty well considering.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god!! Jess, I'm praying for you! I hope baby boy stays safe and snug as long as he possibly can. After that, I'm sure he will be getting fine medical care in the NICU. I've seen amazing things happen from the tiniest of tiny babies in the NICU. You are in my thoughts, and I'm praying hard for you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry things are getting so scary. :( I pray that your kid is a fighter! a superbaby and pulls through with flying colors. I've seen it happen and i know he has it in him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and your baby boy! Did your water fully break or is it just leaking? I always thought if it broke they had to deliver the baby within 24 hours. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I thought the same thing, but we had a friend whose water broke -- in China of all places -- at 24 weeks. I know her son was premature, but not delivered right away. I feel like they somehow kept him in there for a few weeks? Her son is now almost 2 and perfectly healthy (and adorable!)

    ReplyDelete